On Sep 16, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Greg Hoover wrote:

I'm building a very similar function to the one described by Ben, but using PowerPoint -- I have an overlay window that is supposed to show auxiliary info during a PowerPoint presentation. I've verified that the drawing routines are running on my overlay window, but the updates are never shown on the screen (I assume because PowerPoint captures the display). From other postings it seems to be that there is no way to promote the redrawn state of the overlay window to the screen until the app releases the display, yes? Are there any known workarounds for this?

If the application is truly capturing the display, then no you cannot draw over that application. However, it is possible that the application is simply putting a window above yours (and all others) in which case you simply need to change the window level of your window.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing