It has just dawned at me that I should use [self currentValue] instead
of [self currentProgress] as the argument for the function that alters
the position during animation, i.e.

NSLog( [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%f", [self currentValue]]);

The "progress" indeed grows linearly, at regular time intervals, and
the "value" is calculated S-like

Thanks anyway!