(DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking only for myself here. I usually am, but you already knew that, right?)

Today I published the source code and binaries for a new framework, called Swfdec. You can use it for free in your applications (it's LGPL'd) to run Flash animations. Swfdec comes with one NSView subclass, SDFlashView, that runs an animation given a URL.

So why use Swfdec? Well, it's easier to set up and use than a WebView if all you want to do is run a Flash animation, and it also uses a lot less memory than WebView. In addition, it supports the new garbage collection feature of Objective-C, and it'll support 64-bit addressing, too, once I port some ATSUI code over to something that works in the 64-bit environment. It should also be possible to port to the ****** and **** *****, but we can't discuss that in public.

But the most important thing is, it uses its own Flash engine and does not use Flash Player, so Swfdec will run on computers where Adobe Flash Player is not allowed (e.g. some office environments).

This is a sneaky-peek (not final) release and video is not implemented yet (and I need some help getting it to work), but other than that, your animations should Just Work™: <http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/swfdec.html >

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>