I create a NSTracking area with
                tkarea = [[NSTrackingArea alloc] initWithRect:usedrect
                                                |NSTrackingActiveInActiveApp
                                        owner:self
                                        userInfo:nil];
                [self addTrackingArea:tkarea];

        1) the owner is self - an instance of a subclass of NSTextView
        2) the "usedrect" has been intersected with [self bounds]

The "mouseEntered" and "mouseExited" methods are not called.
If I display the tracking area with NSLog after adding the trackingArea to the view, I get the following display:

2008-09-29 11:01:59.803 task[656:813] - trackingArea = NSTrackingArea 0x17a910: rect={{0, 0}, {566, 28}}, owner=0x853000 userData=(null)
        NSTrackingMouseEnteredAndExited
        NSTrackingActiveInActiveApp
        pendingInstall notInstalled disabled

I believe that I had this problem before, and resolved it, but I seem to be running on half memory, and can't recall what the solution was. In fact, the code I'm using now is an almost literal copy of the code in the old project, which works properly. The code also seems to be consistent with code in the
"Cocoa Event Handling Guide" and previous discussions on this list.

Searching for NSTrackingArea and either "pendingInstall", "notInstalled" or "disabled" was not fruitful.

Any Suggestions?

Regards,

Dale Miller
[EMAIL PROTECTED]