Where is editedRowName released?

On 1 Oct, 2008, at 12:34, Christopher J Kemsley wrote:

I'm writing a program that, in one table view, has the following code:

id receivedName = [theDatabase itemAtIndex:editedRow] ;
editedRowName = [receivedName mutableCopy] ;
[receivedName release];

where "editedRowName" is defined as an NSMutableString.

[theDatabase itemAtIndex:editedRow]

Asks my database to return item "editedRow." The object at that index is an NSString. For this function, the database would return

[theStringHere retain]

My code needs a mutable version of this string, so I make a mutableCopy of it and release the old one, as to prevent a memory leak.

However, when I do a "Run with performance tool: Leaks", it tells me that, ever time this part of the code runs, it leaks a "GeneralBlock-32" with the following information:

Category: CFString (store)
Event Type: Malloc
Responsible Library: Foundation
Responsible Caller: -[NSCFString mutableCopyWithZone:]

Does anybody know where this leak is coming from?

This is an Objective-C/Cocoa based application, compiling for the iPhone Simulator with the i386 architecture. (Before anybody yells at me saying that the iPhone SDK cannot be discussed here, read this: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/ program/ )

-Christopher Kemsley
Sent from my Beautiful 17" MacBook Pro

D.K. Johnston
6-635 Battery Street