On Oct 2, 2008, at 6:23 PM, Nick Zitzmann wrote:

On Oct 2, 2008, at 1:30 PM, Kelly Graus wrote:

Is the only way to allow a user to write to a protected location use the AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges function?

Yes. AEWP() is most certainly not deprecated.

Ok, I will look into using that.

If so, is there a way to tell when the application has quit, and get the exit code?

Yes. (Hint: Look at the man page for the wait() function.)

I looked at the wait function, I just couldn't figure out how to get the pid of the started application. Is there a way to get the pid without cooperation of the started application (ie, some sort of IPC between the two applications). I'm very new coding for OS X (and Unix based systems in general), so any details would be very appreciated!

Does using a setuid tool mess up the ability for a user to delete an application, assuming the setuid tool is imbedded in an application's bundle?

Tools that are set to run setuid root tend to be security holes waiting to happen, unless they have an extremely good reason for running as setuid root, and they've been time-tested, such as the ps tool.

Yeah, I was hoping it wouldn't come to using setuid.

Thanks for your help!

Kelly