Hi -

I'm having a weird problem with Core Animation. What I've got is a small particle system, with one layer per particle. There are only 10-20 particles in the system at any given time. The system updates the layers at 60 Hz from an NSTimer, and disables automatic animations during the update.

What seems to be happening is that every time a new particle is added, a few frames get dropped from the display (but, not the calculations). Logging the time delta's between timer firings shows that the timer is not missing firings. Turning off layer additions for new particles prevents the problem (i.e, the particles - with all the associated infrastructure, collision handling, etc - are instantiated, and added to the system, only the addSublayer call is skipped). It's like adding the layer suppresses the redraw of the view for a few cycles... ?!?

Anybody have any ideas?