Hello,

I have created a project in that I found a memory leak. The leak seems to be located in a XIB file?!?

In the XIB file 'MainView' is an ImageView that shows an image file (TIFF file) that is set via the IB inspector panel. In no way is the ImageView connected via an outlet or action with any of my classes. If I delete this ImageView the only memory leak in my project is gone.

You mention that you've found a memory leak, but not what type of memory / object that you're leaking. Could you clarify? It would also be interesting to know how you find memory leaks.

I use Xcode and Instruments to find the memory leaks. I start the application with "Run with performance tool (leaks)" and check the leaks instrument. For finding all memory leaks, I try to use to my applicaion in a way, so that all pieces of my code get called. This takes a bit of time, but shows me, that my entire code is leak free, except one leak that will be automatically be generated in the starting process of the application.

THE LEAK: It is a "GeneralBlock-48", of Event Type "Malloc" in "libTIFF.dylib". The responsible caller is "setByteArray". The library and "setByteArray" are not implemented by my self (so it must be Apple stuff). And as said: I can comment out all possible things of my code with /* xxx */ , so that my application has nearly no function and the leak is there. I can delete every object in IB except for the ImageView and the leak is also there. But: If I simply delete the ImageView the leak is gone. Adding another ImageView also works leak free. But in the moment I set the image to "mainimage.tiff" via the inspector panel, the leak is back.

And: I checked with a fresh projekt only having an ImageView with an image. Surely there is NO leak... So it must be something with my project.

Help would be great, because I don't know what to do...

Jens