On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 1:54 AM, Quincey Morris
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's worth noting that this whole approach (setting a field in the user
> interface), though not wrong, is rather un-Cocoa-like. It would be much more
> usual to define the count of characters as a numeric property (for example),
> and bind the text field to it, using a numeric formatter to format the
> number if you wished. But perhaps you are still a couple a chapters away
> from using bindings.

Pardon me? Cocoa did perfectly fine for over a decade having this be
the *only* way to do things. Bindings only came about in 10.3,
practically yesterday. And some of us still aren't too convinced about
their ultimate utility either. In any case, directly manipulating the
user interface, while perhaps not as shiny and new as bindings, is
*definitely* "Cocoa-like".

Mike