On Oct 13, 2008, at 7:02 PM, Graham Cox wrote:

Well... I'm not sure! Perhaps I was just over-thinking it. On reflection it seems like an ordinary to-one relationship having a setXXX and XXX pattern. Which is how I originally saw it - but then when it didn't work I thought it must be more complicated and so - I guess I talked myself round in circles. Hey-ho.

Oh I've been there, I go there most days actually.

OK, well adding NSKeyValueObservingOptionInitial does indeed invoke the observer, and I get the initial value. But changing the selection doesn't produce any more calls to the same method. The GUI itself is working fine - I click, the selection highlight changes... so something's weird.

Here's the full code:

<snip>

As you can see, all I want is to disable the OK button when there's no selection! Shouldn't be that hard...

(Aside: I've noticed some other glitches with the animation in NSCollectionView (occasionally stuff left unerased) so being a new class it does appear to be a wee bit buggy. Could this be another?)

well it looked fine to me, that's what I'd have written if I tried that out. The last thing I'd probably do before reporting it as a bug is hook up another test button in the interface to a method which just logged the current value of the selectionIndexes property to prove to myself that selectionIndexes meant what I thought it meant and was actually changing as I selected things. Then I'd change the selection a bit, then hit the button. If it changed in the log, my guess would be the GUI code isn't updating it in a KVO compliant way.

oh I'd probably also, again as a paranoia test, move the entire observation registration to that test button so I know it only gets called after the entire gui is running. I know that on wakeOnNib everything is hooked up, or should be, but I'd probably try it anyway. Then when it still didn't work, I'd file it as a bug. _______________________________________________