On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Chris Idou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A category could be a nice OO solution here that avoids having the dreaded
> if else.

..as long as the method name is not too generic.

Early in Leopard, iChat and Mail both had some mysteriously broken behavior
with some AppKit code for interpreting an object that originally came from
user defaults.  It looked something like this:

if ([default respondsToSelector:@selector(boolValue)])
    return [default boolValue];
else if ([default isKindOfClass:[NSString class]]) {
    return {determination if string looks like a @"YES" or a @"1" or
whatever goes here}
}

The problem was that Message.framework, which was loaded by both, had a
category that defined boolValue on NSString, and the definition of what
strings were considered true was a little bit different than the
determination in AppKit.  So any app that loaded Message.framework (which is
a public framework) would interpret certain a global defaults differently
that any other app.

This particular issue won't come up again, because 10.5 introduced
-[NSString boolValue], and the AppKit code was rewritten anyway.  :-)  But
the point is, categories pollute the global space of methods.  They're
great! But when adding methods to framework classes, use method names that
no one else would be interested in, by prefixing if nothing else.

-Ken
Cocoa Frameworks