On Oct 18, 2008, at 7:43 AM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

I have written a class which is missing important behaviors that must be provided by subclasses. I create one like this:

+ (id)fooWithBar:(Bar*)bar_ {
// A Bar instance knows which subclass of Foo is appropriate for it.
   // To find out, send it a -fooClass message.
   id instance = [[[bar_ fooClass] alloc] init] ;
   return [instance autorelease] ;
}

I'm trying to figure out what to call this. I read in "Cocoa Design Patterns" [1] about Abstract Classes, but my Foo doesn't seem to be quite an Abstract Class, since you could create one if you wanted to.

Is there a design pattern that I should be following for this thing? Or maybe could/should I change it to ^be^ an Abstract Class? Or maybe I should just leave it as is? Whatever it is, it works fine for me.

Thanks,

Jerry

[1] http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaFundamentals/CocoaDesignPatterns/chapter_5_section_1.html#/ /apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002974-CH6-SW6

Greetings, Jerry,