On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Pierce Freeman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am attempting to create a little application that will take an application
> name from the user, and then close it for them.  I am attempting do this by
> getting the string in Cocoa, then passing this to AppleScript... But I don't
> know if Cocoa can pass variables to AppleScript.  I imagine that there must
> be some way, as this would be very useful, but if so there is not a lot of
> documentation for it (at least using the phrases that I'm using).

Expect has to jump in here at any moment touting the virtues of AppScript.  <g>

What you're actually looking to do is send a Quit Apple Event to the
user's selected application.  This is what the Quit item on an
application's Dock tile does, as does hitting Cmd-Q on the Cmd-Tab
switcher.  AppleScript is a human-readable syntax for creating Apple
Event descriptors.  Apple Events is an IPC protocol, and AppleScript
allows end-users to take advantage of it.

So forget about AppleScript for now.  As far as Apple Events is
concerned, to send one to another app, you construct an Apple Event
descriptor.  If you want to go the standard route, you can find the
documentation here:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleScript/Conceptual/AppleEvents/intro_aepg/chapter_1_section_1.html

Mike Ash has kindly built a nice library called AEVTBuilder that makes
constructing Apple Events far more intuitive.  You can find more info
about it here: http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?AEVTBuilder

Good luck!
--Kyle Sluder