If you watch this video from 1995 and the particularly three subsequent parts of the video, you'll see that NeXT offered an interesting technology for "seamless" communication between Openstep/ Cocoa objects on the server and rich Windows clients running Excel and Visual Basic applications:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu-jvAWTZ9o&feature=related

All of that is gone now. Apple chucked it all 10 years ago. What is the modern solution ?

Suppose I have Excel running on a Windows machine and I want to grab data from Cocoa objects running on a remote Mac OS X server. How do I get the data out of the Cocoa objects and into Excel ? Suppose I succeed in getting the data out of a Cocoa application and I then I use the data to produce pie chart in Excel. Now, how do I get an image of that chart show to up on a web page produced by a web server running on Mac OS X ?

I apologize in advance if the answers are obvious. I have little to no experience in the realm of web publishing, so I might not be asking the right questions ? I basically just want to do what Steve Jobs demoed in 1995.