This must have a simple answer, but I can't find it.

I have several text fields in in a window.  I've set the nextKeyView as I
like it, and tabbing works.  But pressing enter or return highlights the
whole cell as selected, rather than ending editing of that cell as I
believe it should.

I used caveman debugging in the following way:

I made files owner the delegate for the text field in one of the boxes.  In
Files Owner, I put in the delegate

- (BOOL)control:(NSControl *)control
        textView:(NSTextView *)aTextView
        doCommandBySelector:(SEL)aSelector

Here I test for which selector (either return or enter gives
"insertNewline:").   I also test "aTextView" with "isFieldEditor", which
returns 1 (YES);

Now the documentation says of isFieldEditor:

<quote>
Return Value YES if the text views sharing the receiver’s layout manager
behave as field editors, NO otherwise.

Discussion Field editors interpret Tab, Shift-Tab, and Return (Enter) as
cues to end editing and possibly to change the first responder. Non-field
editors instead accept these characters as text input. See Text Fields,
Text Views, and the Field Editor for more information on field editors. By
default, text views don’t behave as field editors.

</quote>

So where can I look to find out why my field editor is not behaving as a
field editor?

Thanks,

John Velman