On Oct 21, 2008, at 4:00 PM, DKJ wrote:

OK, I tried this:

NSURL *url = [NSURL fileURLWithPath:fname];
CGImageSourceRef source = CGImageSourceCreateWithURL((CFURLRef)url, NULL);
        CGImageRef image = CGImageSourceCreateImageAtIndex(source, 0, NULL);
        CFRelease(source);

        theView.layer.contents = image;

and now I get an incompatible pointer type warning on the last line. But the CALayer contents property has an id type.

change your line of code to:

        theView.layer.contents = (id)image;

And in any case, why is putting an image on a layer such an involved process?

pardon me, but why do you think that typing 3 lines* of code is an "involved process"? Is there something about ImageIO or the exact nature of a layer's content that you don't understand or was not clear in the Core Animation Programming Guide?

curiously,

douglas

* the CFRelease() doesn't really count... it's memory management and doesn't really (directly) affect the layer content.