On Oct 21, 2008, at 3:20 PM, Ken Worley wrote:

On Oct 21, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Ken Worley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It seems like the correct solution is to somehow avoid the keyUp being sent to the window/edit field after the sheet is dismissed, but I also wonder if
I'm catching the right event in the edit field.

Have you read the Text Editing Progamming Guide for Cocoa?  The
document specifically deals with handling the Return key:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/TextEditing/Tasks/InterceptKeys.html

Basically, don't handle -keyUp: or -keyDown:.  Use the
-control:textView:doCommandBySelector: delegate method.

--Kyle Sluder

I somehow managed to miss that or I read it long enough ago that I forgot. Thanks much!

Ken

This, by the way, is a constant source of confusion for me in Cocoa. Why is a delegate method specific to NSTextView listed under NSControl which is the parent class? Not to mention the fact that NSControl lists these delegate methods, but does not itself support a delegate. Looking at control:textView:doCommandBySelector:, textView is listed as an NSTextView* in the document mentioned above. NSTextView, however, doesn't derive from NSControl so is this really for NSTextView or is it for NSTextField which is mentioned at the top of the doc, but doesn't appear anywhere within. I'm using an NSTextField.

Those are rhetorical questions, by the way. Things I think about every time I'm frustrated because I've forgotten to search all the way up the inheritance chain looking for something I don't think should be up there :)

At least with this starting point thanks to Kyle, I should be able to find the correct way to do this.

--
Ken Worley
Software Engineer, Tiberius, Inc.