P.S.: I just tested NSGradient's -getColor:location:atIndex: method (the only one I could find that returns an object by reference) and here too, the first parameter (an NSColor **) has a retain count of 1 and is not autoreleased.

How do you know that it isn't autoreleased?

I don't know of any way to look into an autorelease pool, if you mean that : )

I just made an NSColor ivar and retained it after calling - getColor:location:atIndex: and took a look on its retain count in a second method that was called after the NSAutoreleasePool had been drained (i.e. I took a look at the retain count after pressing a button). That way, all -autorelease messages must have been dealt with. In the second method, the count was 2. After removing the - retain following the -getColor..., the retain count in the second method was 1.

Marco