Hi all,

I'm getting myself thoroughly confused about setting up toolbar items in IB. Previously I've never bothered - just handled the whole toolbar thing in code. But the new IB seems to support setting this up in the nib.

I can place a toolbar in my window, and I can add items to it. I can set the delegate outlet of the toolbar to my document controller.

What I can't do is to tie any outlets to the toolbar items or set any actions or targets for the items. IB's interface doesn't even let me select the items individually, and I cannot assign my own identifiers to them.

At runtime, when the nib is loaded, the pre-installed items are there but they have been assigned identifiers which are UUID strings. My delegate gets called and I can add additional custom items just as I would if I were doing it all in code, but for the nib-supplied items, I get nothing. Since the identifiers are assigned UUIDs somewhere there's no way to know what identifier to use to retrieve an item from the bar and fix up its target/action.

The whole ability to set up toolbars in IB appears to be useless to me.

So before I ditch it all and go back to doing it the harder-but-saner way, can anyone point me in the direction of something that will help me make any sense of this?

tia,

Graham