Hi Marco,

> Still, my question remains: Is there a rule of thumb for the memory
> management of object returned by reference? NSError and NSGradient
> autorelease their objects, NSNetService does not. Because the docs don't say
> anything about this (with the exception of the Error Handling Programming
> Guide), how should one know if an object should be retained or not?

The rule for objects returned by reference is the same as the rule for
objects returned any other way: -copy, -alloc, -retain and -new methods
transfer ownership.  Nothing else does unless specially documented.  If you
think there's a leak with an object returned by reference, please file a
bug.

I see that there was a leak in -getInputStream:outputStream:, but it was
fixed for apps linked on or after the 10.4 SDK.  This was probably in the
Foundation release notes, but the older Foundation release notes don't seem
to be up anymore.. <rdar://problem/6313911>.

-Ken
Cocoa Frameworks