On 24/10/2008, at 4:42 PM, Carlos Weber wrote:

No one can have a complete understanding of MVC without hearing James Dempsey (an Apple engineer) explicate it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYvOGPMLVDo

Excellent. And I thought MVC was Mountain View, California!

Actually, I first came across it while doing MacApp about 20 years ago and reading Brad Cox's book on some obscure language called Objective- C... whatever happened to that?

James's observation about a string maybe containing a phone number or the works of Aristotle not being of concern to the view, but being in the Model's domain does raise the difficulty in it – where does semantics of information come in and specifically validation. With web- based applications, we are putting more into JavaScript, where the view may check that something looks like a phone number (rather than the works of Aristotle), thus giving a user a better interface (error message, rather than "Windows has found an error, error number 60532, click here to find out more information about what this is about"). It can also provide a faster feedback loop to the user than sending a message to a server to get "Invalid data" back.

As for the original question. there aren't hard and fast rules about MVC, but it certainly helps design any app by using its guidelines. Within Cocoa, however, there is a lot of support with Core Data helping with the model and bindings helping with doing a lot of that boring controller stuff, and obviously nib files (xib, and Interface Builder) isolate the view for you.