I need to learn how to take three or four Core-Animation layers and composite them on onto one another while animating, in order to simulate a complex gauge. I'm assuming this will be a lot easier than it is in Windows.

The different elements (needles and such) of the gauge will be on their own layer and will animate by rotating around the center. Additionally, I need for most of the layer to be transparent except for the gauge elements. Any example code you can point to that will help me to assemble these different functional elements would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael