On Oct 27, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Francis Devereux wrote:

On 26 Oct 2008, at 16:37, Gregory Weston wrote:

Amusingly, when you register an unmount or eject approval function with DiskArbitration, that function gets invoked *after* NSWorkspace sends its didUnmount notification. How's that for a lead-in anecdote?

So anyway, I'm looking to react to the imminent or even potential departure of a volume. Some way I can know that a volume will (or probably will) be taken away from me in the near future but with enough lead time that I can reliably make one or two quick function calls against it. Any thoughts? I'm not worried about abrupt disconnects like the user yanking the cable on an external drive. Just looking for the tiniest smidgen of warning for orderly unmounts.

Specifically, I'm looking for the opportunity to call FSGetCatalogInfo on the mount point and then FSGetVolumeInfo on the volume reference number I got back from the first call.

Have you actually tried using DiskArbitration unmount approval callbacks? I decided to give it a go and was able to successfully call FSGetVolumeInfo in the callback. Tested with OS X 10.5.5 and Xcode 3.1.1.

I did; that's how I noticed that the approval callback happened after the unmount notification. My test case was on a 10.4 machine and I actually need to support 10.3+. If it's something they've only fixed some time in the last year it's not especially helpful to me today. But I appreciate the data point.

Greg