On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Gregor Jasny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for documentation of the binary format that is written by
> NSArchiver. The file utility tells me that it's called
> "NeXT/Apple typedstream data, little endian, version 4, system 1000".

I'm not aware that Apple has documented either NSArchiver or
NSKeyedArchiver's format anywhere.

GNUStep can read at least NSKeyedArchiver, and possibly NSArchiver, as
it is able to decode some Apple nibs. I don't know if they've
documented the formats anywhere or if they've just written code for
it, but in either case that's where I'd start looking.

As a last note, I'm not sure why you want this information, but I'd
discourage you from writing something that relies on decoding Apple's
formats if at all possible. Since Apple hasn't documented them any
third-party reverse engineering is going to be error-prone. If you
can, use a different interchange format that you know can be decoded
reliably.

Mike