One question I have that maybe this list can help me understand. If you have views that are layer backed - why would one use any of the view methods instead of the layer methods? I have to admit in some ways I am somewhat perplexed why a CALayer doesn't replace the view itself completely. This is an area I have not yet had to delve into in the docs too much there, but what I have read it doesn't really explain much about the perceived dichotomy.

I would love an eye-opener description here :) And for me its a Leopard/iPhone only world if that makes a difference.