On Oct 29, 2008, at 4:59 PM, Graham Cox wrote:

On 30 Oct 2008, at 9:45 am, Randall Meadows wrote:

Why does the height suddenly jump UP going from 16 down to 15 points?

I'm not sure, but could it be that there are thresholds where a different master font is used? As you cross the threshold the system decides to base the font on a different master.

Quite possible, I'm not that font-smart.

A different solution if you know you are just displaying the text is to convert the glyphs to a path and simply scale the path to fit. That way you can scale it utterly smoothly with no jumps or sudden change in appearance.

Interesting idea, I'll look into that.

But if you wish to stick with using the Font Manager, wouldn't you be better off doing a binary search for the right size? Gradually shrinking the font to fit could end up being slow especially as there may be all sorts of font loading/caching going on in the font manager. A binary search would also allow you to start at any size and *increase* the font size if necessary as well as decrease it, as well as being the fastest way to get there. Just a thought.

In my case, I don't care to upsize, and the most times that loop will run is 14, so I'm not too terribly concerned about performance. I'm way more concerned about quality, which I'm not satisfied at all with right now, so maybe the glyphs thing will pan out.

Off to check it out...
randy