Hello,

I'm brand new to Cocoa/Obj-C and I'm working on converting an app. to
use Cocoa...

I've heard that, in general, if you are using inheritance in Cocoa,
you're not following the typical standard design pattern.  Is this true?

To respond to special keyboard events in an NSTableView, I created a
subclass and provided an implementation for keyDown.

To draw some customized stuff in an NSColorWell, I created a subclass
and provided an implementation for drawRect.

Etc.

In the olden days, this kind of object-oriented approach was perfectly
correct.

But I'm told I should be using delegate methods and firstResponders
somehow.

In general, is there a preferred approach to using actions over
delegates, and delegates over handling Cocoa events?  It seems there are
many different ways to handle the same problem and some ways are
preferred over others...

Also, could someone recommend a good intro to FirstResponders as this is
a concept I don't understand fully yet?

Thanks,

Brian