On Nov 1, 2008, at 1:56 PM, Andre Masse wrote:

I'm implementing a custom NSFormatter. I want a number with 9 digits
displayed as "123 456 789". So before implementing the formatter I
made a test project to check the conversion. The version I did get the
job done but its not pretty :-) Any more good looking solutions?

Just a quick example:

        // get a number by any means possible
        unsigned int theNumber = 1123456789;

        // truncate numbers that are too large
        theNumber = theNumber % 1000000000;

        NSMutableString *numberString;

        // turn the number into a string padded with zeros to 9 places
        numberString = [NSMutableString stringWithFormat:@"%09d", theNumber];

        // add a space character to position 6
        [numberString insertString:@" " atIndex:6];

        // add a space character to position 3
        [numberString insertString:@" " atIndex:3];

        // numberString is now formatted in the format "xxx xxx xxx"