On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 17:25:01 -0500, Ronald Ramdhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:
>Hey Everyone,
> I am working on a project where I would like to control external
>programs from within my Cocoa Application. For example, the ability to
>control a program like PowerPoint from within my code.
>
> Is there anyway to do this programmatically without the use of Apple
>Script?

Certainly. You can do it with Objective-C (through the Scripting Bridge), or
Ruby, or Python, or raw Apple events... or...

What you *can't* do it without it Apple *events*. AppleScript is just a
language. But Apple events are the system-level interapplication
communication mechanism on Mac. Since this is the mechanism in existence
when PowerPoint was written, it is the mechanism to which PowerPoint
conforms. Apple events, however, are language-neutral; they don't care how
you created and sent them.

See Appendix B of my book (and my online article about replacing AppleScript
with Ruby) for more info about that. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = [EMAIL PROTECTED], <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!