You already answered your own question. If you see two different values for 'self' for two objects of your view subclass then of course there are two instances.

The NIB file has a window taken from the pallete, where I have dropped a button and a generic NSView both from the pallete. On the NSView's properties I have changed the class name from NSView to a class in my Xcode project. I also have an NSObject item taken from the pallete which represents the same object implementing the view.

This situation usually comes about when a view is created in code, and a view of the same class is also added to a NIB file.

Note that, because the view you're actually controlling via the timer (presumably the one created in code) doesn't draw, it probably hasn't been added to a superview either. It sounds like you accidentally created a new view instead of getting a reference to the one in the NIB file using an IBOutlet.

Now it is obvious that the view in the window and the object in the xib are not the same.