What is the value expected for:

"IKUImaxSize
Controls whose dimensions are the maximum allowable for the filter view. A width or height of 0 indicates that that dimension of the view is not restricted. If the size requested is too small, the filter is expected to return a view as small as possible. It is up to the client to verify that the returned view fits into the context."

(from
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Reference/IKFilterUIAddition/IKFIlterUI_Reference.html)

I tried an NSValue containing an NSSize, and a NSNumber containing a float. Both throw up "unrecognised selector" exceptions - in the first case for -floatValue and the second for -getCString:maxLength:encoding:

I have defended the documentation in the past but this is some of the worst I've seen - it's below minimum, since it doesn't even tell you the type of an expected parameter, let alone properly explain how it gets used.

Wider question: I have a view which is intended to host the filter controls supplied by IKFilterUIView. The view is quite limited in size, so I'm hoping that the UIFilter stuff in 10.5 is smart enough to lay out the controls to fit. So far it doesn't seem to do a great job but then I haven't got the above parameter working. I'm assuming I should pass in the width (or height??? - unclear) of my controls hosting view here. I also tried simply leaving out the parameter, which works, but then when I try and resize the view myself using - setFrame: it just truncates and clips off the cntrols within. It seems as if the controls supplied have some arbitrary minimums that are actually rather wide. I'm hoping this stuff isn't too lame because it apparently saves a ton of work, but if it does a half-assed job that's not really very useful, is it?

Anyone got any of this to work well yet?

tia,

Graham