I'm working on a fairly simple application which will display a list of n
items. Right now, I'm displaying the items in an NSTableView, but I would
like to do something with a bit more pizazz.

Instead of a multi-column table, I want to make a single column list where
each entry in the list custom draws the information and controls it needs
(say a couple of labels, a checkbox, a small image, and a text field for
each item). Twitteriffic's interface is a pretty good example of the sort of
thing I'm going for.

In a different world, I would create a custom NSView subclass and add
NSTextField and NSButton views as subviews to my subclass; and then ask the
table view to use my NSView subclass to draw each row. Unfortunately,
NSTableView doesn't display NSView objects: it displays NSCell objects.

I've never worked with NSCell before so I'm sort of shooting in the dark.
NSCell doesn't seem to support subcells like NSView supports subviews. Would
I have to custom draw all of the UI elements I need and hand-code the click

(My other idea would be to write a subclass of NSView which basically does
what NSTableView does; but using NSView objects instead of NSCell objects).

Both of my ideas seem like far too much work; which makes me think I'm
almost certainly doing it wrong. So what are my bad assumptions and how
would you do this?

Thanks

--James