Have a look at the documentation for -writeToFile:atomically: In particular this quote:

"This method recursively validates that all the contained objects are property list objects (instances of NSData, NSDate, NSNumber, NSString, NSArray, or NSDictionary) before writing out the file, and returnsNO if all the objects are not property list objects, since the resultant file would not be a valid property list."

What is your real goal? Do you want a plist where the Error key is an archived NSError object, or just an archived version of the dictionarty? I'm going to guess the former in which case you would change your code to do:

[dict setObject:[NSKeyedArchiver archivedDataWithRootObject:error] forKey:@"Error"];