Am 17.11.2008 um 19:34 schrieb j o a r:

On Nov 17, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Marc Stibane wrote:
So why the local var?
3 lines of code instead of 1...
Isn't a main goal of Cocoa to write *less* code?
The main goal for most programmers is not to write less code, it's to write maintainable code [*]. It just so happens that a smaller body of code often also is easier to maintain. That said, writing less code is also an often used obfuscation technique -> You need to find the right balance.

An argument that I've often heard in favor of the use of temporary local variables is that it makes it easier to inspect them in the debugger,

sure - but only if you are concatenating functions or methods, passing the result of one as argument to another. In this case the result is just stored in an ivar, which can be inspected like a local var.

and I think that's a pretty good point (although it doesn't really apply in this case).

Right (both statements!).

Also keep in mind that in Cocoa we strongly advocate the consistent use of accessor methods for instance variables.

Fine - but for the first initialization from inside the class? This seems like being religious in spite of drawbacks...

If you don't like a particular piece of sample code,

Don't get me wrong - I am a long time Carbon programmer, and use Cocoa since a few months. I just wanted to know why it is better to write bloated code - maybe I am just overlooking something because of my lacking background knowledge of Cocoa.

I'd suggest that you file a bug report / enhancement request here:
        <http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/>

If nobody can tell me a compelling reason why this code is good I'll do that.

[*] It has to be functional too, of course, but that kind of goes without saying...

--

In a world without walls and fences,
   who needs windows and gates?