On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:26:04 -0800 (PST) Erik Buck wrote:

> Open GL has no built-in capability for drawing text.  Open GL
> provides lower level primitives like lines and curves and
> meshes.  Open GL also provides texture compositing.
>
> There are some free and some open text drawing/font solutions
> for Open GL.  You can use the GLUT library up to a point.
>
> On Mac OS X, the traditional way to mix Open GL and Cocoa
> text is by rentering the text into a texture and then using
> Open GL to composite the texture.
>
> The sample I think you want is
> http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/CocoaGL/index.html
>
> See other samples at
> http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/GraphicsImaging/idxOpenG
> L-date.html
>
> For modern Mac OS X, you might do what you want with "layer
> backed views" to use a Cocoa text view as an Open GL texture.
>  See also CATextLayer
> http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/CALayerEssentials/index.html

Hmmm... none of these are quite 100% what I'm looking for; I want the
power of an NSTextView, but where it is mapped as a texture onto an
OpenGL surface.  I suspect that that will take a LOT of work.  The
ultra-hackish way I can think of is to have an invisible NSTextView, and
a visible OpenGL capable view (like CAOpenGLLayer).  The text view is
mapped into something (don't know what yet) that can be turned into a
texture that is rendered on the surface of the OpenGL object, and I do
hit testing on the OpenGL object to pass back where the mouse is to the
invisible NSTextView.  By doing this, I hope to use NSTextView's power
to do all the heavy lifting for text, but display it on an OpenGL
surface.  Except for the fact that I'd need to be very careful to ensure
that the OpenGL surface doesn't deform the rendered output from the
NSTextView too much, does this sound like a reasonable approach.  Note
that I'm NOT trying to make a released product here, just get a feel for
an interface.

Thanks,
Cem Karan