One question... you wrote:

 So when
dealing with unknown objects whose thread safety is not documented,
you cannot access them from multiple threads without synchronization
just because they present an immutable interface.

When you talk about "accessing" these objects, do you also mean reading ?

Because really all that my thread does is to read some values (i.e.
int imagewidth, int imageheight etc)

Then it generates NSImages that I alloc, init, output to disk and then release....

I've put all the "UI" modifications (status text update etc) in a separate method that I call using performOnMainThread:

As for the rest, granted the variables like imagewidth, imageheight etc.. are SET by my UI (they are bound to controls in IB).. .but the thread never actually modifies any variables/data shared with the main thread... it only uses those variable to generate images...

I also released and re-created my pool after each image is generated...

Basically I get no errors/warning, everything seems to be working... is it really though?? eh... I'm still not sure...

Jean-Nicolas Jolivet