On 28/11/2008, at 7:13 AM, Mathieu Coursolle wrote:

Hi Cocoa developers,

I created a simple garbage collected Core Data application using the Xcode template. I did not change much except that I added an empty window controller for my window,
which is the file's owner of my .xib.

I added logs in the init and finalize methods to make sure that each object created was eventually finalized. However, I realized that even if the document is always finalized when I close the window, its window controller is not. Let's say I open a new document and close it right away and repeat the operation a few dozen times, I end up with all documents collected, but a few window controller still to be collected. Even if I force the collector, they are not collected.

Even stranger, if I delete my only entity from my .xcdatamodel (which does nothing), then everything gets collected as it should. How can a entity prevent an object from being collected?

You are adding the NSWindowController to your document using - addWindowController:, which retains the window controller. You must then release the window controller using -removeWindowController: so that the collector frees the object.

Do this in MyDocument.h:

#import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>
@class MyWindowController;
@interface MyDocument : NSPersistentDocument {
        MyWindowController* newWindowController;
}
@end

and change these methods in MyDocument.m:

- (void)makeWindowControllers
{
        // Create the project window controller and keep a reference to it.
        newWindowController = [[MyWindowController alloc] init];
        [newWindowController setShouldCloseDocument:YES];

        // Add it to the list of window controllers for this document.
        [self addWindowController:newWindowController];
}

- (void)finalize
{
        [self removeWindowController:newWindowController];
        NSLog(@"Document finalized");
        UpdateDocumentCount(0);
        [super finalize];

Rob Keniger