Hey everyone,

I'm working on a client/server application. The client sends tiny "Event" objects to the server that can contain an NSString of a letter or short sequence of letters (up to about 4). What I'm trying to do is figure out how the server can perform the keypress(es) to get that letter (or sequence).

I know that I could use CGEventCreateKeyboardEvent, but that requires me to know the precise keycode for the letter. If I were limited to just ASCII 0-127, that wouldn't be so bad. But I could also be getting things like "é" or "£" and so on. I'd rather not hard code in every keystroke combination. =)

Alternatively, I could try using AppleScript. But in playing around with it, I found that if I do: Tell app "System Events" to keystroke "é", then all it does is type "a". Other tests have shown that the "keystroke" command only accepts basic ASCII characters. Of course I could use the "using command down" to get the non-ascii letters, but again, that would require me to hard code in every keystroke combination.

My last idea is to put it on the clipboard and paste it in by simulating a command-v keystroke. The only problem with this is that command-v doesn't mean paste on all keyboards.

Do any of you have any ideas on how I can type arbitrary UTF8 characters programmatically?

Thanks,