I just discovered part of my problem. The pdf image was being scaled down slightly even though there was plenty of room for it inside the NSButton. The default scaling is "Proportionally Down". Change this to "None" and the image now is always sharp, at least for a User Interface Resolution of 1.0.

Change the User Interface Resolution to 1.25 or 1.5 and the pdf image is ok but not great. This is apparently because "A shape is scan- converted by painting any pixel whose square region intersects the shape, no matter how small the intersection is." according to the "Scan Conversion Rules" in the pdf standard. I think this is why it looks less sharp at these resolutions. Note that fonts get special treatment and will render more "precisely" because they are hinted.

Anyway, perhaps this is why the final image used for many Apple widgets are bitmapped tiff files and not vector pdf. You can tweak each and every pixel in a tiff file if you want to. For me I just wanted to make single vector image and be done with it.