On Dec 5, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Sherm Pendley wrote:
On Dec 4, 2008, at 10:03 PM, Debajit Adhikary wrote:

I'm new to Cocoa and am trying to understand File Owner's and Nibs.
When I create a simple Cocoa application and build and run it, a window -- specified in MainMenu.xib -- opens. How exactly does this window open? Is
there any code for this anywhere? I wasn't able to find any.

In NSApplicationMain(), which is called from your main(), there's code that loads the "Main Nib File" as specified in your target's properties, and makes the shared NSApplication instance that nib's owner.

Sherm answered how the nib gets loaded, but you also need to know what it means for a nib to load.

A nib file contains archived objects. When the nib is loaded, the objects are unarchived, i.e., new objects are instantiated with all the attributes and interconnections that were specified in the nib.

Windows are objects. The window that appears when the nib is loaded is one of the objects that was archived in the nib. So you won't see a specific line of code that says "create this window." Nib files do not cause code generation. The window instantiation is implicit in the unarchiving that is performed when the nib is loaded.

See also:

"Cocoa Fundamentals Guide: Nib Files and Other Application Resources"
<http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaFundamentals/CoreAppArchitecture/chapter_7_section_8.html >

--Andy