Hi Chuck,

On Dec 7, 2008, at 03:00, Charles Steinman wrote:

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood the following line (due to the way we say things in Danish):

Happily, the object should be released anyway if you plan to return nil since otherwise you'll leak a half-initialized object every time the method fails.

-I'm actually trying to say the same thing: self should be deallocated/ released.

So you should release self and return nil.

-Exactly!

 self=NULL;

...should automatically deallocate the object, and I've never heard that it did.

I don't know why you think the object would be dealloced between alloc and init. If the if(self) conditional evaluates to nil, that's because [super init] returned nil.

Sorry for the noise. =)

Love,
Jens