Well, I don't know if you guys are still listening on this thread but, for the record, I did put Graham's suggestion into practice, immediately. It was fast, easy, and simple to modify when I wanted to tweak the behavior to use float values instead of integers. Thanks, Graham.

After going back and reading the entire thread (just now), I have decided to remove Graham's solution and go with the recommendation, from Michael and Bill, to use inheritance instead. I also appreciated Sherm's suggestion as a good solution to consider in the future any time I need to do something like this and decide to use categories, but want to be more intelligent about it. I don't have a lot of experience with categories and I'm not sure that, if Apple did make changes and code broke, I would remember or recognize that this category might be the culprit. The problem is that I'm inexperienced and new to a lot of the deeper concepts in Objective-C, I barely understand how categories do what they do. I'm a C++ guy. I'm sure the underlying details are similar but in all honestly don't want to waste my time trying to master this. I just want to finish my application.

Thanks again, for all the great input and the lively debate.

-Michael