I know I've seen a discussion of this, but my search-fu is weak today, apparently. Please feel free to reply in links to the answer, if you wish...

I'm trying to draw (in a view's -drawRect: method) a string over top an image background:

NSDictionary   *attrs = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
          font, NSFontAttributeName,
          textColor, NSForegroundColorAttributeName,
          [NSColor clearColor], NSBackgroundColorAttributeName,
          nil];
[text drawInRect:textBounds withAttributes:attrs];

draws the string in the correct text color and font, with a black rectangular background. I want the background image to show through the "holes" in the string I'm drawing. I tried adding

[[NSColor clearColor] set];
NSRectFill(textBounds);

before the -drawInRect: call, to no avail.  What am I missing?

Thanks!
randy