I did encounter the same problem (developing on 10.5 and testing on 10.4)

It seem's to be a know bug in NSNumberFormatter

I solved it by subclassing NSNumberFormatter like this:

#import "MCNumberFormatter.h"

@implementation MCNumberFormatter
- (NSString *)stringForObjectValue:(id)anObject
{
        ////NSLog(@"stringforobject anobject: %@ ",anObject);
        if([anObject isEqualTo:[NSDecimalNumber zero]])
        return @"";
        else
        return [super stringForObjectValue:anObject];
}

- (BOOL)getObjectValue:(id *)anObject forString:(NSString *)string errorDescription:(NSString **)error
{
        ////NSLog(@"getObjectValueforString: %@ aString",string);
return [super getObjectValue:anObject forString:string errorDescription:error];
}

@end

and used this class like this:

        MCNumberFormatter *totalFormatter = [[MCNumberFormatter alloc] init];
        [totalFormatter setFormatterBehavior:NSNumberFormatterBehavior10_4];
        [totalFormatter setNumberStyle:NSNumberFormatterDecimalStyle];
        [totalFormatter setLocalizesFormat:YES];
        [totalFormatter setMinimumFractionDigits:2];
        [totalFormatter setMaximumFractionDigits:2];

Hopes it help

Stéphane