Hi list,

I am trying to store a reference to a file in a database, such that if the file moves, I can still search for it in my database. I have read up on the Carbon Alias Manager and the third party BSAlias/ NDAlias classes but none of these quite seem to fit the bill as it looks like I am working backwards from their designed use. ie, rather than finding the file from a database record, I want to lookup the database record from a known file.

In this situation, would it be best to use -[NSFileManager attributesOfItemAtPath:error:] and store the NSFileSystemFileNumber? I'm not sure how resilient this approach is. Or is there something that I have missed completely?

Regards,

Ben