Le 11 déc. 08 à 18:07, Russ a écrit :

Is there an official Apple-supplied list of which Macs (PPC and Intel) are capable of running 64-bit applications? I need something to refer customers to so they can verify whether their machine is 64- bit capable or not. Obviously I could supply a tiny app to tell them, but it's a bit pointless and politically incorrect to have to have a download for this.

So even better, is there a convenient GUI-based way for a user to check this? I don't see anything in "About this Mac". Since there are no running 64-bit processes by default, I can't tell them to check Activity Monitor. A standard app that will always start in 64- bit mode so it can be checked from Application Monitor? (These are ordinary users, no Developer Tools or command-line methods).

IIRC, Chess.app launch as 64bits app in Leopard on 64 bits compatible computers. You can then check in the Activity Monitor to see if this is a 64 bit process.

It's important for this information to be readily available --- it's hard to push 64-bit apps if no one can tell if their machine can really run one or not.

Also: how can a customer easily choose to run the 32-bit version of a 32/64 universal app? This may prove occasionally necessary to accommodate missing QTKit functionality.

Thanks.