On Dec 14, 2008, at 9:21 AM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:

I was surprised to learn that a hierarchy of NSDictionary objects can be queried with valueForKeyPath:

NSDictionary *dict0 = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:@"got me!", @"2", nil]; NSDictionary *dict = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:dict0, @"1", nil];
NSLog([dict valueForKeyPath:@"1.2"]);

This is powerful functionality.

Am I blind (again), or is this fact omitted from the docs? Or is it implicit from the nature of KVC?

It's implicit in two facts:

1) The default implementation of -valueForKeyPath: resolves down to a series of -valueForKey: calls 2) The override of -valueForKey: on NSDictionary resolves to a call to -objectForKey: in most cases

Cheers,
Ken