Following Peters advice:
Consider using a single-segment NSSegmentedControl. It has this behavior built-in.

I am not completely satisfied: I want the NSOnState shown as done in an NSButton with buttonType = NSOnOffButton and bezelStyle = NSTexturedSquareBezelStyle.

In the header file I found a method:
        [ segmentedControl setSegmentStyle: NSSegmentStyleSmallSquare ];
which has not yet found its way into the documentation, and which comes closer to what I want:

Specifially: the NSOnState should look indented with a black background.

And there should be almost no space wasted left and right of the image or titel.

The wasted space was avoided with:
[ segmentedControl setLabel: name  forSegment: 0 ];
[ segmentedControl sizeToFit ];
NSRect frame = [segmentedControl frame];
float nw = frame.size.width * 5.0 / 6.0 - 15.0 ; // very ugly hack, but I don't know anything better
nw = ceil(nw);
[ segmentedControl setWidth: nw  forSegment: 0 ];
 [ segmentedControl sizeToFit ];

Also: a segmented control with an image has a lower height than one with text. Which also reports a height of 24, but looks definitely higher.

This crazyness stopped, once I stopped using:
//[ segmentedControl setFont: [ NSFont labelFontOfSize: 0.0 ] ];

Kind regards,

Gerriet.