On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM, David Alter <alterconsult...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to draw in a NSView but not when drawRect is called.

Others have pointed this out, but I want to reiterate: no you don't.
Trying to draw outside of drawRect: will only lead to pain. (It is
useful, on rare occasions. You are not experiencing one of them.) Work
with the view machinery. Call -setNeedsDisplay:.

However, I'll also point out why your code currently doesn't work,
just for posterity:

>     CGContextRef myContext =
> (CGContextRef)[[NSGraphicsContext currentContext]graphicsPort];

Right now you're getting the current graphics context, which is purely
arbitrary. Nothing has set it yet, so you're getting whatever happened
to be hanging around.

>    [self lockFocus];

Now you lock focus, which sets the current context to the one for your
view. Since you grab the context before you set it, things don't work
very well.

Mike