On 21 Dec 2008, at 5:23 am, Andre Masse wrote:

I'm using a master/detail view in my application. If the user select another row in the master table and the detail has been modified, I want to present an alert to save, cancel or return to detail.

Just my 2ยข worth, but this sounds like a horrible UI. If I get interrupted by an alert every time I change a table selection, I'm going to get pretty irritated by that quite quickly. Normally table selections changes are considered "cheap", and the user shouldn't be punished for browsing.

Instead why not just keep a change flag for each modified object, then at some suitable time when the user is moving to a task that needs to use the modified data or else revert to the earlier state, check the flags and only present the alert once. This is how Mail's preferences settings work for example - I can change lots of different settings but only when I close the window am I prompted to save any changes I made. It's much less intrusive.

--Graham